About Me

My photo
Bookish. Publisher at Louise Walters Books. Reader, writer, and editor.

Tuesday 28 March 2017

Book launch speech!

My second novel A Life Between Us is published today after a year of very hard work! I can't quite believe I've got here in the end... but here I am. Tonight I will share a bottle of champagne with my husband and quietly enjoy the feeling of having two books "out".

Self-publishing my second novel has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. But I didn't do it alone, of course, and I have plenty of people I need to thank. So here goes!

Firstly, I need to thank all the staff at Troubador Publishing who have been helpful, courteous and most importantly, calm, throughout my dealings with them. It's been a pleasure working with them and I'm so glad I chose my "assisted publishing" helpers wisely. Thank you!

Secondly, I am indebted to book cover designer Jennie Rawlings who designed the beautiful cover for A Life Between Us. Here it is again, in case you haven't seen it yet(!):



Jennie was delightful to work with and came up with this marvellous concept for the cover. She also designed leaflets and bookmarks, which are equally stunning:




Thanks to printers T J International for the beautiful look, feel and smell of the finished books. They really are quality!

Next up is my writing friend and wise counselor Susan Davies, AKA author Sarah Vincent. Susan has the sharpest eye in town and never hesitates to point out to me where my writing has gone a bit, well, crap, and she has saved my arse over the course of three novels now. She is also a stunning writer, and her novel The Testament of Vida Tremayne is a fantastic read. Just sayin'! Many thanks, Susan. (She also recommended Jennie Rawlings to me!)

Next up I must thank all of the The Prime Writers, who have been so supportive of me and my project since I announced back in February 2016 that I was going indie! I appreciate every re-tweet, interaction, review and encouraging word. Thank you!

Since becoming an author I've met so many lovely people, many of whom have become good friends. Here I must mention Isabel Costello, Rebecca Mascull and Louise Jensen. You are all wonderful writers and wonderful people and I'm honoured that our lives have touched.

I must also mention The Alliance of Independent Authors and their supportive members, and their seemingly endless advice and information for us indie authors. So glad I decided to sign up and join in!

I can't lie - being a self-published author is tough. My book has been ignored by people and publications that I think may not have ignored it if it had been trade published (but that is for another post)! The disappointment of being ignored in some quarters has been more than made up for by the support I've enjoyed from the book blogging community and many fellow authors. A Life Between Us has had some wonderful reviews from Anne Williams, Cleo Bannister, Rachel Burton, Louisa Treger, and many others. I can't mention all of them, but I am so grateful for all the reviews. And, hey, even the occasional one star review or rating is still acknowledgement that my book exists!

I must thank my local indie bookshop The Old Hall Bookshop in Brackley, who are stocking A Life Between Us. That means so much to me - I used to work there (too many years ago now!) and they generously hosted the book launch party in 2014 for my debut novel, Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase.






Finally, I have to thank my husband and kids who have put up with me bashing away at my laptop, sometimes in tears, sometimes swearing; and of course many members of my family have had my book foisted on them, with demands to know what they think!




My husband Ian, last but not least. Thanks for being so kind, helpful, hard working, supportive and generous. I couldn't have done this without him. He's also a dab hand at applying car stickers!





So, that's more or less it for Book 2...



... next up: Book 3...!




















No comments:

Post a Comment